Google+ House Revivals: Make a Pretty Christmas Banner Using Homemade Washi Tape

Friday, December 5, 2014

Make a Pretty Christmas Banner Using Homemade Washi Tape

Are you looking for a quick and easy Christmas card or decor idea, using scraps of paper you already have? Look no further! You can make this darling banner (or make cards!) using old book pages and homemade washi tape.


Of course, you can use store bought washi tape, as well, if you have it, but making your own is a great stash busting idea if you you have lots of paper scraps left over from other projects.



I love crafting with vintage book pages, and have lots of old Reader's Digests that I picked up for a song from a local thrift store. I pulled out the pages I wanted to use, and trimmed away the margins. Then I went through my stash of scrap paper and trimmed several pieces into on-half inch wide strips.  I tore the strips into short lengths and played around with how to arrange them to make a washi tape Christmas tree.


Once the strips were arranged the way I liked them, I simply glued them down with a glue stick. You can use whatever adhesive you have on hand for this -- it does not have to be a glue stick.


Make one or make several!  I made mine into a banner for my mantel.


Leave them plain, or add embellishments. I added same "garland" using glitter glue. It was quick, easy, and mess free.


Using a hole punch, I made holes to hang the pages from a piece of twine.


I threaded a length of jute twine through the holes, and tied a small piece of scrap fabric to the corners of each page.


Such a pretty and simple idea, and it cost nothing to make -- I simply used leftover and recycled supplies.


It doesn't need to break the bank to create pretty Christmas decor!  You can also glue your washi tape Christmas trees to card stock to make unique Christmas cards.


Do you have a stash of papers just waiting for a fun project like this?  Maybe you have some old books that can be recycled? Let me know in the comments.  If you enjoyed this post, and would like to read more tutorials from House Revivals, be sure to subscribe! Also, I would love it if you share this post on social media -- it's easy, using the social media buttons at the bottom of this post.

To see more tutorials using vintage book pages, click here. Also, be sure to check out my side bar for links to lots of popular craft and design tutorials. Thanks for visiting!